- a long, narrow, horizontal wooden beam raised about 4 feet (1.2 m) above the floor, on which women gymnasts perform balancing routines consisting of jumps, tumbles, turns, running steps, etc.
- an event in which such routines are performed, usually with recorded musical accompaniment
balance beambalance beam
- A horizontal raised beam with a width of 10 centimeters (4 inches) and a length of 5 meters (16 feet) that is used in gymnastic competition for balancing exercises.
- A competitive gymnastics event in which various balancing feats are performed on this beam.
(plural balance beams)
- (gymnastics) A narrow wooden rail used in gymnastics.
- The horizontal member of any balance (scale,) usually carrying pans at each end, supported at its center by a fulcrum.
- attributive form of balance beam, noun.
- That gymnast is a balance-beam expert.
- This rod was connected with the negative pole of the generator, and was suspended from one arm of a balance-beam, while from the other end of the beam was suspended a vertical hollow iron cylinder, which could be moved into or out of a wire coil or solenoid joined as a shunt across the two carbon rods of the furnace.