- in a way that is fitting and proper; correspondingly
An example of the word accordingly is when a teacher asks a student to behave accordingly by reminding the student of appropriate behavior using other students an example.
- In accordance; correspondingly.
- So; consequently.
(comparative more accordingly, superlative most accordingly)
- Consequently, indicates a connection between two things, the latter of which is done on account of the former.
- Accordingly marks the connection as one of simple accordance or congruity, leading naturally to the result which followed; as, he was absent when I called, and I accordingly left my card; our preparations were all finished, and we accordingly set sail. Consequently all finished, and we accordingly set sail.
- Consequently marks a closer connection, that of logical or causal sequence; as, the papers were not ready, and consequently could not be signed.
according + -ly
- Accordingly I copied the story and sent it to him for his birthday.
- This was done accordingly, the number of members of the committee being, however, doubled.
- She accordingly delayed a year.
- Accordingly Paul lays down rules which he regarded as embodying the Lord's commandment.
- The fact was accordingly conveyed to Lavrushka.