- The definition of trifling is of little importance or worth.
An example of trifling used as an adjective is a trifling gift card which means a gift card on which all the value has already been spent.
trifling definition by Webster's New World
- that trifles; frivolous; shallow; fickle
- having little value or importance; trivial
- triflingly adverb
trifling definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Of slight worth or importance. See Synonyms at trivial.
- Frivolous or idle.
- triˈfling·ly adverb
Variant of trifle
- something of little value or importance; trivial thing, idea, etc.; paltry matter
- a small amount of money
- a small amount or degree; bit
- esp. in England, a dessert consisting of spongecake soaked in wine, spread with jam, and covered with custard, whipped cream, etc.
- a kind of pewter of medium hardness
- utensils made of this
Origin: Middle English ; from Old French trufle, mockery, diminutive of truffe, deception
- to talk or act jokingly, mockingly, etc.; deal lightly: not a person to trifle with
- to play or toy (with something)
- to play fast and loose (with a person's affections); dally
- trifler noun