- To thank is defined as to express gratitude or appreciation.
An example of to thank is sending flowers to a person who made you dinner.
thank definition by Webster's New World
- to show or express appreciation or gratitude to, as by saying “thank you”
- to hold responsible; blame: an ironic use: we have them to thank for our failure
Origin: Middle English thankien ; from Old English thancian, akin to German danken ; from Indo-European base an unverified form tong-, to think from source think, Classical Latin tongere, to know
thank definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb thanked, thank·ing, thanks
- To express gratitude to; give thanks to: He thanked her for the gift.
- To hold responsible; credit: We can thank the parade for this traffic jam.
Origin: Middle English thanken, from Old English thancian; see tong- in Indo-European roots.