- To thank is defined as to express gratitude or appreciation.
An example of to thank is sending flowers to a person who made you dinner.
- to show or express appreciation or gratitude to, as by saying “thank you”
- to hold responsible; blame: an ironic use: we have them to thank for our failure
Origin of thankMiddle English thankien ; from Old English thancian, akin to German danken ; from Indo-European base an unverified form tong-, to think from source think, Classical Latin tongere, to know
transitive verbthanked, thank·ing, thanks
- To express gratitude to; give thanks to: He thanked her for the gift.
- To hold responsible; credit: We can thank the parade for this traffic jam.
- Used ironically in the future tense to express a rebuke: I'll thank you to keep quiet until the presentation is finished.
Origin of thankMiddle English thanken, from Old English thancian; see tong- in Indo-European roots.
- What great thank, then, if any man, reputed wise and constant, will neither do, nor permit others under his charge to do, that which he approves not, especially in matter of sin?
(third-person singular simple present thanks, present participle thanking, simple past and past participle thanked)
- thank you