- The definition of a tong is a grasping device, or a member of a Chinese association or political group.
- An example of a tong is the grasping device used to remove corn on the cob from a pot of hot water.
- An example of a tong is a Chinese person who belongs to a pro-Kuomintang traditional group.
- Tong is defined as to pick up or hold something using a device with two long arms that are hinged at one end.
An example of tong is picking hot dogs off a grill with a metal grasping device.
- a Chinese association or political party
- in the U.S., a Chinese secret fraternal society
Origin of tongMandarin t'ang, hall, meeting place, society
transitive verbtonged, tong·ing, tongs
Origin of tongBack-formation from tongs.
- A Chinese association or political party.
- An association or a secret society of Chinese in the United States, believed to be involved in organized crime.
Origin of tongCantonese tong4, assembly hall, familial relationship between cousins, from Middle Chinese t&hhook;aŋ (also the source of Mandarin táng).
- An instrument or tool used for manipulating things in a fire without touching them with the hands.
(third-person singular simple present tongs, present participle tonging, simple past and past participle tonged)
From Old English tange, from a Germanic root. Cognate to Old Norse tǫng (modern Icelandic töng), Old High German zanga (modern German Zange). Other cognates include Sanskrit दशति (daśati, “to bite”) and Albanian dang (“bite, nip”).
From Cantonese, 堂.