- The definition of a tong is a grasping device, or a member of a Chinese association or political group.
- An example of a tong is the grasping device used to remove corn on the cob from a pot of hot water.
- An example of a tong is a Chinese person who belongs to a pro-Kuomintang traditional group.
- Tong is defined as to pick up or hold something using a device with two long arms that are hinged at one end.
An example of tong is picking hot dogs off a grill with a metal grasping device.
- a Chinese association or political party
- in the U.S., a Chinese secret fraternal society
Origin of tongMandarin t'ang, hall, meeting place, society
transitive verbtonged, tong·ing, tongs
Origin of tongBack-formation from tongs
- A Chinese association or political party.
- An association or a secret society of Chinese in the United States, believed to be involved in organized crime.
Origin of tongCantonese tong4 assembly hall, familial relationship between cousins from Middle Chinese t&hhook;aŋ ( also the source of Mandarin táng )
- An instrument or tool used for manipulating things in a fire without touching them with the hands.
(third-person singular simple present tongs, present participle tonging, simple past and past participle tonged)
From Old English tange, from a Germanic root. Cognate to Old Norse tÇ«ng (modern Icelandic tÃ¶ng), Old High German zanga (modern German Zange). Other cognates include Sanskrit à¤¦à¤¶à¤¤à¤¿ (daÅ›ati, “to bite") and Albanian dang (“bite, nip").
From Cantonese, å ‚.