- The definition of a tong is a grasping device, or a member of a Chinese association or political group.
- An example of a tong is the grasping device used to remove corn on the cob from a pot of hot water.
- An example of a tong is a Chinese person who belongs to a pro-Kuomintang traditional group.
- Tong is defined as to pick up or hold something using a device with two long arms that are hinged at one end.
An example of tong is picking hot dogs off a grill with a metal grasping device.
- tonger noun
- a Chinese association or political party
- in the U.S., a Chinese secret fraternal society
Origin: Mandarin t'ang, hall, meeting place, society
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb tonged, tong·ing, tongs
Origin: Back-formation from tongs.
- A Chinese association or political party.
- An association or a secret society of Chinese in the United States, believed to be involved in organized crime.
Origin: Chinese (Cantonese) t'ōng, assembly hall, familial relationship between cousins, equivalent to Chinese (Mandarin) táng.