Variant of solitary
- living or being alone
- without others; single; only: a solitary example
- characterized by loneliness or lack of companions
- lonely; remote; unfrequented: a solitary place
- done in solitude
- Bot. occurring singly, as a flower
- Zool. living alone or in pairs; not colonial, social, etc.
Origin: Middle English from Old French solitaire from Classical Latin solitarius from solus, alone, sole
- a person who lives alone; esp., a hermit
- Informal solitary confinement
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.