- a rough-and-tumble fight; tussle; confused struggle
- ☆ Football
- line of scrimmage
- play that begins with the snap from center, with both teams positioned on the line of scrimmage
- Rugby scrum
- ☆ Sports a practice session or game between two different teams or two units of the same team
Origin: altered from skirmish
- scrimmager noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Football The contest between two teams from the time the ball is snapped until it is declared dead.
- Sports A practice session or informal game, as between two units of the same team.
- a. A rough-and-tumble struggle; a tussle.b. A skirmish.
Origin: Middle English, alteration of skirmisshe, scrimish; see skirmish.