- a fortified position at either flank for protection or attack
- any of several soldiers detailed to protect the flanks of a marching column
- ☆ Football an offensive back who takes a position closer to the sideline than the rest of the team
- One that flanks, especially a soldier so positioned as to protect the flank of a column of troops on the march.
- Business An extension product, such as a diet version of a soft drink or a liquid version of a detergent, added to a line to support the sales of the main product.
- Football A flankerback.
(third-person singular simple present flankers, present participle flankering, simple past and past participle flankered)