Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio.
- a fortified position at either flank for protection or attack
- any of several soldiers detailed to protect the flanks of a marching column
- ☆ Football an offensive back who takes a position closer to the sideline than the rest of the team
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- One that flanks, especially a soldier so positioned as to protect the flank of a column of troops on the march.
- Business An extension product, such as a diet version of a soft drink or a liquid version of a detergent, added to a line to support the sales of the main product.
- Football A flankerback.