Restored to Prussia in 1816 it was again fortified, but in 1862 the fortifications were converted into a public park.
Using the extra sand, they made fortifications and bedded down for the night behind them.
In place of its ancient fortifications Angouleme is encircled by boulevards known as the Remparts, from which fine views may be obtained in all directions.
Blue Town, the older part of the town, with the dockyard, is defended by strong modern-built fortifications, especially the forts of Garrison Point and Barton's Point, commanding the entrance of both the Thames and the Medway.
Ten years later it was rebuilt on an extended scale, and provided with fortifications by the elector John William.