Football an offensive back who calls the play, takes the ball from the center, and then passes, hands off, etc.
- to act as quarterback for (a team)
- to direct or lead; manage
nounAbbr. QB Football
The offensive backfield player whose position is behind the line of scrimmage and who usually calls the signals for the plays and receives the ball when snapped.
verbquar·ter·backed, quar·ter·back·ing, quar·ter·backs
- Football To direct the offense of.
- Slang To lead or direct the operations of: “needed someone to quarterback the [brain trust] for the first U.S. ICBM program” ( Forbes )
To play quarterback.
- (American football) an offensive back whose primary job is to pass the ball in a play
(third-person singular simple present quarterbacks, present participle quarterbacking, simple past and past participle quarterbacked)
- (American football) to play the position of quarterback
- (by extension) to lead the offense