- any of an order (Scorpiones) of arachnids found in warm regions, with a front pair of nipping claws and a long, slender, jointed tail ending in a curved, poisonous sting
- Bible a variety of whip or scourge
Origin of scorpionOld French from Classical Latin scorpio from Classical Greek skorpios, scorpion, kind of fish from Indo-European base an unverified form (s)ker-, to cut from source shear
Scorpius, the constellation, or Scorpio, the eighth sign of the zodiac
- Any of various arachnids of the order Scorpiones, chiefly of warm dry regions, having large claws and a segmented tail that curves over the back and is tipped with a venomous sting.
- Scorpion See Scorpius.
Origin of scorpionMiddle English from Old French from Latin scorpiō scorpiōn- alteration of scorpius from Greek skorpios
- Someone with the Scorpio star sign
- (astrology) of, or pertaining to, the Scorpio star sign