- any of an order (Scorpiones) of arachnids found in warm regions, with a front pair of nipping claws and a long, slender, jointed tail ending in a curved, poisonous sting
- Bible a variety of whip or scourge
Origin of scorpionOld French ; from Classical Latin scorpio ; from Classical Greek skorpios, scorpion, kind of fish ; from Indo-European base an unverified form (s)ker-, to cut from source shear
Scorpius, the constellation, or Scorpio, the eighth sign of the zodiac
- Any of various arachnids of the order Scorpiones, chiefly of warm dry regions, having large claws and a segmented tail that curves over the back and is tipped with a venomous sting.
- Scorpion See Scorpius.
Origin of scorpionMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin scorpi&omacron;, scorpi&omacron;n-, alteration of scorpius, from Greek skorpios.
- Someone with the Scorpio star sign
- (astrology) of, or pertaining to, the Scorpio star sign