- Rum is an alcoholic drink that is made from sugar cane or molasses.
An example of rum is Bacardi Dark rum.
rum definition by Webster's New World
- an alcoholic liquor distilled from fermented sugar cane, molasses, etc.
- ☆ alcoholic liquor in general
Origin: short for rumbullion, origin, originally Devonshire dialect, dialectal , uproar, tumult ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
- odd; strange; queer
- bad, poor, etc.: a rum joke
Origin: ; from obsolete rum, good, great ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Rom, a Gypsy: see Romany
rum definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An alcoholic liquor distilled from fermented molasses or sugar cane.
- Intoxicating beverages.
Origin: Probably short for obsolete rumbullion.
adjective rum·mer, rum·mest Chiefly British
- Odd; strange.
- Presenting danger or difficulty.
Origin: Origin unknown.