- The definition of reminiscent is a person or thing that tends to remind you of something or that resembles someone.
An example of something that would be described as reminiscent is a painting by a new painter that resembles a Picasso and that reminds you of a Picasso.
reminiscent definition by Webster's New World
- having the nature of or characterized by reminiscence
- given to reminiscing, or recalling past experiences
- bringing to mind something else; suggestive (of)
Origin: Classical Latin reminiscens, present participle of reminisci ; from re-, again plush memini, to remember: for Indo-European base see mind
- reminiscently adverb
reminiscent definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Having the quality of or containing reminiscence.
- Inclined to engage in reminiscence.
- Tending to recall or suggest something in the past: an evening reminiscent of happier times.
Origin: Latin reminīscēns, reminīscent-, present participle of reminīscī, to recollect; see men-1 in Indo-European roots.
- remˌi·nisˈcent·ly adverb