- The definition of retrospective is looking back on something that happened in the past.
- When you are interviewed about past events, this is an example of a retrospective interview.
- An art exhibit showing an artists early works progressing to the artist's most recent works is an example of a retrospective exhibit.
retrospective definition by Webster's New World
- looking back on or directed to the past, past events, etc.
- looking or directed backward: a retrospective view of the river
- applying to the past; retroactive
Origin: retrospect plush -ive
a representative exhibition of the lifetime work of an artist
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- retrospectively adverb
retrospective definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Looking back on, contemplating, or directed to the past.
- Looking or directed backward.
- Applying to or influencing the past; retroactive.
- Of, relating to, or being a retrospective: a retrospective art exhibition.
An exhibition or performance of works produced by an artist over a considerable period.
- retˌro·specˈtive·ly adverb
retrospective - Legal Definition