- Prospective is defined as likely or expected.
- An example of someone prospective is a potential new client; a prospective client.
- An example of someone prospective is a student looking at colleges; a prospective student.
prospective definition by Webster's New World
- looking toward the future
- expected; likely; future
Origin: Late Latin prospectivus ; from prospectus: see prospect
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- prospectively adverb
prospective definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
- Likely or expected to happen.
- Likely to become or be: prospective clients.
- pro·specˈtive·ly adverb
prospective - Legal Definition
Effective in the future. Newly enacted laws and constitutional decisions are almost always applied prospectively.