The definition of rebellious is a person who is resistant to authority or control.
An example of rebellious was Pancho Villa; a rebellious Mexican Revolutionary general.
- resisting authority; engaged in rebellion
- of or like rebels or rebellion
- opposing any kind of control; defiant
- difficult to treat or handle: a rebellious cowlick
Origin of rebelliousMiddle English rebellous
- Prone to or participating in a rebellion: rebellious army officers. See Synonyms at insubordinate.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a rebel or rebellion: Rebellious activity has diminished in the province.
- Characterized by or expressing resistance to or defiance of authority or convention: a rebellious teenager; a rebellious artistic movement.
- Resistant to treatment or adjustment: “battled with characteristically rebellious plumbing” ( Isabella Tree )
(comparative more rebellious, superlative most rebellious)
- Showing rebellion.