quadrangle definition by Webster's New World
- Geom. a plane figure with four angles and four sides
- an area, as of a college campus, surrounded on its four sides by buildings
- the buildings surrounding a quadrangle
- ☆ the area of land charted on each of the atlas sheets published by the U.S. geological survey
Origin: Middle English ; from Middle French ; from Late Latin quadrangulum ; from Classical Latin quadr- ; from quattuor, four plush angulus, angle
- quadrangular adjective
quadrangle definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Mathematics Quadrilateral.
- a. A rectangular area surrounded on all four sides by buildings.b. The buildings bordering this area.
- The area of land shown on one atlas sheet charted by the U.S. Geological Survey.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Late Latin quadrangulum, from Latin, neuter of quadrangulus, four-cornered : quadri-, quadri- + angulus, angle.
- quad·ranˈgu·lar adjective
- quad·ranˈgu·lar·ly adverb
- quad·ranˈgu·lar·ness noun