- Geom. a plane figure with four angles and four sides
- an area, as of a college campus, surrounded on its four sides by buildings
- the buildings surrounding a quadrangle
- ☆ the area of land charted on each of the atlas sheets published by the U.S. geological survey
Origin of quadrangleMiddle English ; from Middle French ; from Late Latin quadrangulum ; from Classical Latin quadr- ; from quattuor, four + angulus, angle
- Mathematics A quadrilateral.
- a. A rectangular area surrounded on all four sides by buildings.b. The buildings bordering this area.
- The area of land shown on one atlas sheet charted by the US Geological Survey.
Origin of quadrangleMiddle English, from Old French, from Late Latin quadrangulum, from Latin, neuter of quadrangulus, four-cornered : quadri-, quadri- + angulus, angle.