- The definition of a quad, short for quadrangle, is a large open area where people can gather, surrounded on four sides by buildings.
An example of a quad is a courtyard in a school.
The quad at a university.
- quadrangle (of a college)
- Something having four identifiable or prominent parts or members.
- Something capable of carrying or moving four people or things, as a chairlift.
- A quadruplet.
- (informal) A quadrangle (courtyard).
- (informal) A quadruplet (infant).
- short for quadrilateral
- (informal) A quadriceps muscle.
- Four shots of espresso.
- A quad bike.
- (chess) A kind of round robin tournament between four players, where each participant plays every other participant once.
- (Mormonism) The Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price bound in a single volume.
- Having four shots of espresso.
- (poker slang) Of or relating to quads.
- (letterpress typography) A blank metal block used to fill short lines of type.
- (printing slang) A joke used to fill long days of setting type.
- (typography, phototypesetting and digital typesetting) A keyboard command which aligns text with the left or right margin, or centred between them. In combination, as quad left, quad right, or quad centre.
(third-person singular simple present quads, present participle quadding, simple past and past participle quadded)
- (letterpress typography, intransitive) To fill spaces in a line of type with quads. Also quad out.
- (typography, phototypesetting and digital typesetting, intransitive) To align text with the left or right margin, or centre it.
1785 Quads. pl, 1847 quads, verb 1876. From the abbreviation quad., for obsolete quadrat. Keyboard command is named for the verb sense.
- Involving four elements.
Reduced form of quadri-.