- quadrangle (of a college)
The quad at a university.
An example of a quad is a courtyard in a school.
Origin of quadfrom quad(rat)
transitive verbquad′ded, quad′ding
- Something having four identifiable or prominent parts or members.
- Something capable of carrying or moving four people or things, as a chairlift.
- A quadruplet.
- (informal) A quadrangle (courtyard).
- (informal) A quadruplet (infant).
- short for quadrilateral
- (informal) A quadriceps muscle.
- Four shots of espresso.
- A quad bike.
- (chess) A kind of round robin tournament between four players, where each participant plays every other participant once.
- (Mormonism) The Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price bound in a single volume.
- Having four shots of espresso.
- (poker slang) Of or relating to quads.
- (letterpress typography) A blank metal block used to fill short lines of type.
- (printing slang) A joke used to fill long days of setting type.
- (typography, phototypesetting and digital typesetting) A keyboard command which aligns text with the left or right margin, or centred between them. In combination, as quad left, quad right, or quad centre.
(third-person singular simple present quads, present participle quadding, simple past and past participle quadded)
- (letterpress typography, intransitive) To fill spaces in a line of type with quads. Also quad out.
- (typography, phototypesetting and digital typesetting, intransitive) To align text with the left or right margin, or centre it.
1785 Quads. pl, 1847 quads, verb 1876. From the abbreviation quad., for obsolete quadrat. Keyboard command is named for the verb sense.
- Involving four elements.
Reduced form of quadri-.
- If you're on a historically African American college campus and you hear a Zeta Phi Beta step chant ringing out over the quad, the odds are you will see a group of strong, confident women singing them together, celebrating their sorority.
- Dora Lil' Quad - Designed as a toddler-friendly choice, this battery-powered 4-wheeler features a large push-button on the handlebar for easy stop-and-go performance and travels a safe 2 mph on hard surfaces.
- Originally known as the Imperial Palace, the Quad Resort and Casino is centrally located on the Las Vegas Strip between Harrah's and the Flamingo, directly across the street from Caesar's Palace.
- The Quad, just like the Imperial Palace before it, is not a high-end resort with high-end amenities, but it may be one of the best hotels on a budget for those visiting the Las Vegas Strip.
- While significant remodeling was done to the gaming, dining and lobby areas of the Imperial Palace to transform it into the Quad, far less work was done to the hotel rooms themselves.