- a unit of length in the FPS system, equal to 3 feet or 36 inches (0.9144 meter): abbrev. yd
- a cubic yard, equal to 27 cubic feet or 46,656 cubic inches (0.7646 cubic meter)
- a slender spar, tapering toward the ends, fastened at right angles across a mast to support a sail
- the transverse member of a mast on non-sailing ships, used to hold signal flags, lights, etc.
- Slang one hundred dollars or, sometimes, one thousand dollars
Origin of yardMiddle English yerde from Old English gierd, rod, staff, yard measure, akin to obsolete German gerte, rod from Indo-European an unverified form ?hazdho-, variant, variety of base an unverified form ghasto-, rod, pole from source Classical Latin hasta, pole, spear
the whole nine yards
Origin of yard< ?