- The definition of perfunctory is done in a routine manner, without much care or attention.
- An example of perfunctory is a quick check of a car by a rental agency.
- An example of perfunctory is a businessman who signs letters without reading them.
- done without care or interest or merely as a form or routine; superficial: a perfunctory examination
- without concern or solicitude; indifferent: a perfunctory teacher
Origin: LL perfunctorius from Classical Latin perfunctus, past participle of perfungi, to get rid of, discharge from per-, intensive plush fungi, to perform: see function
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Done routinely and with little interest or care: The operator answered the phone with a perfunctory greeting.
- Acting with indifference; showing little interest or care.
Origin: Late Latin perfūnctōrius, from Latin perfūnctus, past participle of perfungī, to get through with : per-, per- + fungī, to perform.
- per·funcˈto·ri·ly adverb
- per·funcˈto·ri·ness noun