- Present participle of perfume.
Variant of perfume
transitive verbperfumed, perfuming
- to fill with a fragrant or pleasing odor; scent
- to put perfume on; dab, spray, etc. with perfume
Origin of perfumeMiddle French parfumer ; from Italian perfumare ; from Classical Latin per-, intensive + fumare, to smoke ; from fumus, smoke: see fume
- a pleasing smell or odor; sweet scent, as of flowers; fragrance
- a substance producing a fragrant or pleasing odor; esp., a volatile oil, as that extracted from flowers, or a substance like this prepared synthetically
Origin of perfumeMFr parfum < the v.