These delicious tarts are examples of pastry.
- flour dough or paste made with shortening and used for the crust of pies, tarts, etc.
- foods made with this, as pies, tarts, etc.
- broadly, all fancy baked goods, including cakes, sweet rolls, etc.
- a single pie, cake, croissant, etc.
Origin of pastrysee paste and amp; -ery
- Dough or paste consisting primarily of flour, water, and shortening that is baked and often used as a crust for foods such as pies and tarts.
- a. Baked sweet foods made with pastry: Viennese pastry.b. One of these baked foods.
Origin of pastryMiddle English pastree, from paste, paste, dough; see paste1.
paste +â€Ž -ry, or Old French pastaierie.