A caramel flan.
flan definition by Webster's New World
- a piece of shaped metal ready to be made into a coin by the stamp of a die; blank
- a tart filled with custard, fruit, etc., or with a savory mixture
- a Spanish dessert of custard covered with a burnt-sugar syrup
Origin: French ; from Old French flaon (from source Middle English flawn, flan) ; from Midieval Latin flado (gen. fladonis) ; from Old High German flat cake, akin to Middle English flathen: for Indo-European base see flat
flan definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A tart with a filling of custard, fruit, or cheese.
- See crème caramel.
- A metal disk to be stamped as a coin; a blank.
Origin: French, from Old French flaon, from Late Latin fladō, fladōn-, flat cake, of Germanic origin; see plat- in Indo-European roots.