- The definition of par is normal, or equal to the standard.
An example of par used as an adjective is in the phrase "par score" which means a score that is equal to the standard.
- Par is the amount which is considered to be the standard or average.
An example of a par is the average expected performance on a test.
- To par is defined as to score the standard score for a particular golf course.
An example of to par is to get a hole in two on a hole that is expected to take two swings.
- the established or recognized value of the money of one country in terms of the money of another country, based on a metal accepted as the common standard of value
- an equal or common status, standing, footing, level, etc.: usually in the phrase on a par (with)
- the average or normal state, condition, degree, etc.: work that is up to par
- Commerce the nominal, or face, value of stocks, bonds, etc.
- Golf the number of strokes established as a skillful score for any given hole or for a whole course
Origin of parL, an equal, origin, originally adjective : see part
- of or at par
- average; normal
transitive verbparred, par′ring
par for the course
Origin of parin ref. to a golf course
- An amount or level considered to be average; a standard: performing up to par; did not yet feel up to par.
- An equality of status, level, or value; equal footing: a local product on a par with the best foreign makes.
- The established value of a monetary unit expressed in terms of a monetary unit of another country using the same metal standard.
- See par value.
- Sports The number of golf strokes considered necessary to complete a hole or course in expert play.
transitive verbparred, par·ring, pars Sports
- Equal to the standard; normal: a solid, par performance.
- Of or relating to monetary face value.
Origin of parFrom Latin pār equal, that which is equal ; see perə-2 in Indo-European roots.
- the name of a town and beach near St Austell in Cornwall
par - Computer Definition
par - Investment & Finance Definition
The face value of a security. For common stock, the company sets the par value before it is issued. Typically, par value is $1 a share. The par value of a bond is the amount that will be paid upon maturity, such as $1,000. Par value has nothing to do with a stock or bond’s market value, which varies as trading occurs.