- any small bird: a child's word
- ⌂ Golf a score of one stroke under par for a hole
Golf to score a birdie on (a given hole)
- Informal A small bird.
- Sports a. One stroke under par for a hole in golf.b. See shuttlecock.
transitive verbbird·ied, bird·ie·ing, bird·ies Sports
To shoot (a hole in golf) in one stroke under par.
- (diminutive) A bird; a birdling.
- Aw, that's a cute little birdie. Is it a budgie?
- (golf) The completion of a hole one stroke below par.
- He scored ten birdies during the tournament.
- (badminton) A shuttlecock.
- (electronics) An electromagnetic signal generated from within an electronic device.
- (usually preceded by "the") A certain rude gesture in some countries, formed with the middle finger.
- (usually preceded by "the") A certain rude gesture in some countries, formed with the middle and index fingers.
(third-person singular simple present birdies, present participle birdieing, simple past and past participle birdied)
- (intransitive, golf) To score a birdie.
- Sörenstam birdied to take the lead.
- (golf) To score a birdie.
- Sörenstam birdied the seventeenth hole to take the lead.