- Equality is defined as the condition of being equal, or the same in quality, measure, esteem or value.
When men and women are both viewed as being just as smart and capable as each other, this is an example of equality of the sexes.
Origin of equalityMiddle English equalite ; from Old French equalité ; from Classical Latin aequalitas
- The state or quality of being equal.
- Mathematics A statement, usually an equation, that one thing equals another.
Origin of equalityMiddle English equalite, from Old French, from Latin aequālitās, from aequālis, equal; see equal.
(countable and uncountable, plural equalities)
- (uncountable) The fact of being equal.
- (uncountable, mathematics) The fact of being equal, of having the same value.
- (uncountable) The equal treatment of people irrespective of social or cultural differences.