A palaver between three men.
An example of palaver is a flirtatious conversation.
- a conference or discussion, as orig. between indigenous Africans and European explorers or traders
- talk; esp., idle chatter
- flattery; cajolery
Origin of palaverPortuguese palavra, a word, speech from Ecclesiastical Late Latin parabola, parable
- to talk, esp. idly or flatteringly
- to confer
- a. Idle chatter.b. Talk intended to charm or beguile.
- A negotiation or discussion concerning matters in dispute, especially in the traditional cultures of West Africa.
verbpa·lav·ered, pa·lav·er·ing, pa·lav·ers
Origin of palaverPortuguese palavra speech alteration of Late Latin parabola speech, parable ; see parable .
(third-person singular simple present palavers, present participle palavering, simple past and past participle palavered)
- To discuss with much talk.