- Palaver is defined as charming talk, or chatter.
An example of palaver is a flirtatious conversation.
A palaver between three men.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a conference or discussion, as orig. between African natives and European explorers or traders
- talk; esp., idle chatter
- flattery; cajolery
Origin: Port palavra, a word, speech from Ecclesiastical Late Latin parabola, parable
- to talk, esp. idly or flatteringly
- to confer
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Idle chatter.b. Talk intended to charm or beguile.
- Obsolete A parley between European explorers and representatives of local populations, especially in Africa.
Origin: Portuguese palavra, speech, alteration of Late Latin parabola, speech, parable; see parable.