country consisting of a group of islands in the W Pacific Ocean: formerly part of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, the island group became an independent republic in 1994: 177 sq mi (458 sq km); cap. Koror
also Be·lau Formerly Pe·lew
A nation consisting of about 200 islands and islets in the Caroline Islands of the western Pacific Ocean. When most of the Carolines became the Federated States of Micronesia in 1978, Palau chose to form a separate republic in free association with the United States, an arrangement that became effective in 1994. The capital is Melekeok.x
- The WASC accredits colleges and universities in California as well as the Pacific island territories and states of Hawaii, American Samoa, Micronesia, Palau, Guam and the Northern Marianas Islands.
- Jennifer Lyon - or Jenn, as she was known during her time on 2005's Survivor: Palau - announced her breast cancer diagnosis five months after the final episode aired.
- The hit television show Survivor debuted in May 2000 by pitting sixteen contestants against one another on Palau Tiga, an island in Borneo.
- She also continued her studies during her time in Spain and planned to attend graduate school after she finished filming Survivor: Palau.
- In that season two contestants from Survivor: Palau were allowed to compete again in Survivor: Guatemala.