- The definition of overweight is being heavier than is considered healthy, acceptable or normal.
- A truck that weighs more than the limit permitted is an example of something that would be described as overweight.
- A person who weighs so much that his doctor considers it a health risk is an example of someone who is overweight.
This person is overweight.
overweight definition by Webster's New World
overweight definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- More weight than is normal, necessary, or allowed.
- Greater weight or importance; preponderance.
- To weigh down too heavily; overload.
- To give too much emphasis, importance, or consideration to.
overweight - Investment & Finance Definition
Having a large percentage of a portfolio invested in a particular sector. For example, an analyst may tell investors to overweight their holdings of healthcare stocks, meaning that healthcare stocks should take up a larger percentage of the investors’ portfolios than they do on a broad market index, such as the S&P 500. The term also may be applied to individual stocks. Overweight contrasts with underweight, which indicates that a portfolio has a disproportionately small amount of funds in a particular stock or sector.