obnoxious[əb näk′s̸həs, äb-]
They find her singing obnoxious.
- The definition of obnoxious is someone or something that is very annoying or offensive.
An example of obnoxious is an upstairs neighbor listening to extremely loud music at two o'clock in the morning.
- exposed or liable to injury, evil, or harm
- liable to punishment; censurable
- very unpleasant; objectionable; offensive
Origin of obnoxiousClassical Latin obnoxiosus ; from obnoxius, subject or exposed to danger ; from ob- (see ob-) + noxa, harm ; from base of nocere, to hurt: see necro-
- Very annoying or objectionable; offensive or odious: “I know no method to secure the repeal of bad or obnoxious laws so effective as their stringent execution” (Ulysses S. Grant).
- Archaic Exposed or subject to harm, injury, or evil: “Those who are most obnoxious to punishment will flee from the country” (George Washington).
- Archaic Deserving of or liable to censure.
Origin of obnoxiousLatin obnoxiōsus, subordinate, from obnoxius, subject, liable : ob-, to; see ob– + noxa, injury; see nek-1 in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more obnoxious, superlative most obnoxious)