- The definition of obnoxious is someone or something that is very annoying or offensive.
An example of obnoxious is an upstairs neighbor listening to extremely loud music at two o'clock in the morning.
They find her singing obnoxious.
obnoxious definition by Webster's New World
- exposed or liable to injury, evil, or harm
- liable to punishment; censurable
- very unpleasant; objectionable; offensive
Origin: Classical Latin obnoxiosus ; from obnoxius, subject or exposed to danger ; from ob- (see ob-) plush noxa, harm ; from base of nocere, to hurt: see necro-
obnoxious definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Very annoying or objectionable; offensive or odious: “I know no method to secure the repeal of bad or obnoxious laws so effective as their stringent execution” (Ulysses S. Grant).
- Archaic Exposed to harm, injury, or evil: “The town … now lies obnoxious to its foes” (John Bunyan).
- Archaic Deserving of or liable to censure.
Origin: Latin obnoxiōsus, subordinate, from obnoxius, subject, liable : ob-, to; see ob- + noxa, injury; see nek-1 in Indo-European roots.
- ob·noxˈious·ly adverb
- ob·noxˈious·ness noun