The definition of obnoxious is someone or something that is very annoying or offensive.adjective
An example of obnoxious is an upstairs neighbor listening to extremely loud music at two o'clock in the morning.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- exposed or liable to injury, evil, or harm
- liable to punishment; censurable
- very unpleasant; objectionable; offensive
Origin: L obnoxiosus < obnoxius, subject or exposed to danger < ob- (see ob-) + noxa, harm < base of nocere, to hurt: see necro-
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Very annoying or objectionable; offensive or odious: “I know no method to secure the repeal of bad or obnoxious laws so effective as their stringent execution” (Ulysses S. Grant).
- Archaic Exposed to harm, injury, or evil: “The town … now lies obnoxious to its foes” (John Bunyan).
- Archaic Deserving of or liable to censure.
Origin: Latin obnoxiōsus, subordinate, from obnoxius, subject, liable : ob-, to; see ob- + noxa, injury; see nek-1 in Indo-European roots.
- ob·noxˈious·ly adverb
- ob·noxˈious·ness noun