- Nourish is defined as to feed or develop.
An example of nourish is to provide food, drink and daily care to a kitten.
A tiny kitten being nourished.
nourish definition by Webster's New World
- to feed or sustain (any plant or animal) with substances necessary to life and growth
- to foster; develop; promote (a feeling, attitude, habit, etc.)
Origin: Middle English norischen ; from Old French extended stem of norrir ; from Classical Latin nutrire: see nurse
- nourisher noun
nourish definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb nour·ished, nour·ish·ing, nour·ish·es
- To provide with food or other substances necessary for life and growth; feed.
- To foster the development of; promote: “Athens was an imperial city, nourished by the tribute of subjects” (V. Gordon Childe).
- To keep alive; maintain: nourish a hope.
Origin: Middle English norishen, from Old French norrir, norriss-, from Vulgar Latin *nutrīre, from Latin nūtrīre; see (s)nāu- in Indo-European roots.
- nourˈish·er noun
nourish - Medical Definition