- Musical is defined as something related to music, or someone with an ear or fondness for music.
- When the bells of a church sound like beautiful music, this is an example of when they would be described as musical.
- A person who is a good singer is an example of someone who is musical.
- The definition of a musical is a play where the characters sing and dance.
The Phantom of the Opera on Broadway is an example of a musical.
- of or for the creation, production, or performance of music
- having the nature of music; melodious or harmonious
- fond of, sensitive to, or skilled in music
- set to music; accompanied by music
Origin: Middle English from Midieval Latin musicalis from Classical Latin musica
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Of, relating to, or capable of producing music: a musical instrument.
- Characteristic of or resembling music; melodious: a musical speaking voice.
- Set to or accompanied by music: a musical revue.
- Devoted to or skilled in music.
- a. A play or movie that contains musical numbers.b. A musical comedy.
- Archaic A musicale.
- muˈsi·cal·ly adverb
musical - Cultural Definition
A play or film that contains musical numbers. Musicals can be comedic (see musical comedy) or serious in tone, such as Porgy and Bess.