- The definition of dulcet is sweet to hear, taste or smell.
An example of something dulcet is the dulcet tones of a string quartet.
The dulcet sounds of a violin.
dulcet definition by Webster's New World
- soothing or pleasant to hear; sweet-sounding; melodious
- Archaic sweet to taste or smell
Origin: Middle English doucet ; from Old French diminutive of douz, sweet ; from Classical Latin dulcis, sweet ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Indo-European base an unverified form dḷku-, sweet from source Classical Greek glykys
- dulcetly adverb
dulcet definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. Pleasing to the ear; melodious.b. Having a soothing, agreeable quality.
- Archaic Sweet to the taste.
Origin: Alteration (influenced by Latin dulcis) of Middle English doucet, from Old French, diminutive of douce, feminine of doux, sweet, from Latin dulcis.
- dulˈcet·ly adverb