The definition of martyrdom is the state of suffering, or giving one's life for a cause.noun
An example of a person who experienced martyrdom was Joan of Arc.YourDictionary definition and usage example. Copyright © 2013 by LoveToKnow Corp.
- the state of being a martyr
- the death or sufferings of a martyr
- severe, long-continued suffering; torment
Origin: ME martirdom < OE martyrdom: see martyr & -dom
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. The state of being a martyr.b. The suffering of death by a martyr.
- Extreme suffering of any kind.