- The definition of martyrdom is the state of suffering, or giving one's life for a cause.
An example of a person who experienced martyrdom was Joan of Arc.
martyrdom definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- the state of being a martyr
- the death or sufferings of a martyr
- severe, long-continued suffering; torment
Origin: Middle English martirdom ; from Old English martyrdom: see martyr and amp; -dom
martyrdom definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. The state of being a martyr.b. The suffering of death by a martyr.
- Extreme suffering of any kind.