- The definition of installment is the act of putting something new in, or an installment is one part of something that has multiple parts such as a payment or story.
- An example of an installment is the putting in of a new kitchen.
- An example of an installment is a per month payment plan.
- any of the parts of a debt or other sum of money to be paid at regular times over a specified period
- any of several parts, as of a serial story, appearing at intervals
Origin of installmentaltered (infl. by install) ; from estallment ; from estall, to arrange payments for ; from Old French estaler, to stop, fix ; from estal, a halt, place ; from Old High German stal: see stall
an installing or being installed; installation
Origin of installmentinstall + -ment
- One of a number of successive payments in settlement of a debt.
- a. A portion of something, such as a publication, issued at intervals.b. A chapter or part of a literary work presented serially.
Origin of installmentAlteration of obsolete estallment, from Anglo-Norman, from Old French estaler, to place, fix, from estal, place, of Germanic origin; see stel- in Indo-European roots.
- The act of installing; installation.
- Take oaths from all kings and magistrates at their installment, to do impartial justice by law. Milton.
- A portion of a debt, or sum of money, which is divided into portions that are made payable at different times. Payment by installment is payment by parts at different times, the amounts and times (often equal namely regular, e.g. mensual) being often definitely stipulated.
- a part of a broadcast or published serial.
- anything that is performed in parts, spread in time
installment - Legal Definition
A partial payment of a debt scheduled to be made at regular intervals.