The definition of indignity is treatment that is humiliating, insulting or hurtful to another.
An example of indignity is a wife telling her husband he's worthless.
- pl. -·ties something that humiliates, insults, or injures the dignity or self-respect; affront
- the quality of being humiliating, insulting, etc.
Origin of indignityClassical Latin indignitas, unworthiness, vileness: see in- and amp; dignity
- Humiliating, degrading, or abusive treatment.
- A source of offense, as to a person's pride or sense of dignity; an affront.
- Obsolete Lack of dignity or honor.
Origin of indignityFrench indignité, from Old French, from Latin indignitas, from indignus, unworthy; see indign.
From Old French indignité, from Latin indignitas