- The definition of indignity is treatment that is humiliating, insulting or hurtful to another.
An example of indignity is a wife telling her husband he's worthless.
indignity definition by Webster's New World
- something that humiliates, insults, or injures the dignity or self-respect; affront
- unworthiness or disgrace
Origin: Classical Latin indignitas, unworthiness, vileness: see in- and amp; dignity
indignity definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. in·dig·ni·ties
- Humiliating, degrading, or abusive treatment.
- A source of offense, as to a person's pride or sense of dignity; an affront.
- Obsolete Lack of dignity or honor.
Origin: French indignité, from Old French, from Latin indignitās, from indignus, unworthy; see indign.