- the state of being an idiot
- behavior like that of an idiot; great foolishness or stupidity
- pl. -·cies an idiotic act or remark
Origin of idiocyidio(t) + -cy
- Extreme folly or stupidity.
- A foolish or stupid utterance or deed.
Origin of idiocyFrom idiot.
See also wisdom.bovinity the state or quality of being like a cow or ox, especially in the sense of being dull, stolid, and slow-witted. —bovine, adj. cretinism Medicine. a congenital deficiency of thyroid secretion causing deformity and idiocy. —cretinoid, cretinous, adj. idiotism 1. the condition of an idiot, especially an extreme degree of mental deficiency, usually a mental age of less than three or four years; idiocy. 2. idiotic conduct or action, especially in a normal person. —idiotie, adj. moronism the condition of being slow or mentally deficiënt. —moronic, adj. stultiloquence Rare. foolish talk or babble.
- (psychology) The state or condition of being an idiot; the quality of having an intelligence level far below average; mental retardation.
- An act lacking intelligence or sense; an instance of senselessness; extremely foolish behaviour.
- The administrators, growing tired of such idiocy, put a new policy in place.