- Guy is defined as a rope, chain or cable used for to support, secure or direct something, or is an informal term for a man or boy.
- An example of a guy is the rope that campers attach to the side of their tents to anchor into the ground for added tent support.
- An example of a guy is a man you don't know who is standing next to you.
- The definition of a guy is a statue of Guy Fawkes that is displayed and burned on Guy Fawkes Night in England.
An example of a guy is a statue of a man that is burned in England on November 5th.
Origin: Middle English gie from Old French guie, a guide from guier from guider: see guide
- in England, an effigy of Guy Fawkes displayed and burned on Guy Fawkes Day
- Brit. a person whose appearance or dress is odd
- ☆ Informal
- a man or boy; fellow
- any person
Origin: after Guy Fawkes
Origin: Fr Gui, Guy, literally , leader: see guy
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Origin: Partly from Middle English gie, guide, guy (from Old French guie, from guier, to guide; see weid- in Indo-European roots) and partly from Low German; akin to Dutch gei, brail.
- Informal A man; a fellow.
- guys Informal Persons of either sex.
- Chiefly British A person of odd or grotesque appearance or dress.
- often Guy An effigy of Guy Fawkes paraded through the streets of English towns and burned on Guy Fawkes Day.
Origin: After Guy Fawkes.