nounpl. fowls or
- any bird: now only in comb.: wildfowl
- any of various domestic birds used as food; specif.,
- the chicken
- the duck, goose, turkey, etc.
- a full-grown chicken, as distinguished from a springer, etc.
- the flesh of any of these birds used for food
Origin of fowlMiddle English foule, foghel from Old English fugol, akin to German vogel, bird from Germanic an unverified form fuglaz, altered by dissimulation from an unverified form fluglaz from an unverified form flug-, an unverified form fleug- from Indo-European an unverified form pleuk- from source fly