- an outgrowth of flesh, as the comb and wattles of a fowl
- an outgrowth of an outer seed coat at or near the hilum
Origin of caruncleobsolete French caruncle ; from Classical Latin caruncula, diminutive of caro: see harvest
- Biology A fleshy naked outgrowth, such as a fowl's wattles.
- Botany An outgrowth or appendage at or near the hilum of certain seeds, as of the castor-oil plant.
Origin of caruncleObsolete French caruncule, from Latin caruncula, diminutive of carō, flesh; see sker-1 in Indo-European roots.
- ca·run′cu·late , ca·run′cu·lat′ed