- The definition of forthright is a person, action or statement that is direct and straightforward.
When you are not shy about stating your opinion and you say what you mean, this is an example of a forthright person.
- Forthright is defined as proceeding directly forward.
An army marching straight ahead is an example of the forthright movement of the army.
- Archaic going straight forward
- straightforward; direct; frank
Origin of forthrightMiddle English from Old English forth riht: see forth and right
- straight forward; directly onward
- Archaic immediately; at once
- Direct and without evasion; straightforward: a forthright appraisal; forthright criticism. See Synonyms at frank1.
- Archaic Proceeding straight ahead.
(comparative more forthright, superlative most forthright)
forth- + right