The definition of devious is someone or something that is not straightforward or deviates from the usual course of action.
An example of someone who would be described as devious is a person who lies to get his way.
- not in a straight path; roundabout; winding
- deviating from the proper or usual course; going astray
- not straightforward or frank; deceiving
Origin of deviousClassical Latin devius from de-, off, from + via, road: see via
- Not straightforward; shifty: a devious character.
- Departing from the correct or accepted way; erring: achieved success by devious means.
- Deviating from the straight or direct course; roundabout: a devious route.
- Away from a main road or course; distant or removed.
Origin of deviousFrom Latin dēvius out-of-the-way dē- de- via road ; see wegh- in Indo-European roots.