evolve[ē välv′, -vôlv′; i-]
- The definition of evolve is to develop gradually or set free.
An example of evolve is bettering your yoga skills by doing more yoga.
transitive verbevolved, evolving
- to develop by gradual changes; unfold
- to set free or give off (gas, heat, etc.)
- to produce or change by evolution
Origin of evolveClassical Latin evolvere, to roll out or forth ; from e-, out + volvere, to roll: see walk
- to develop gradually by a process of growth and change
- ☆ to become disclosed; unfold
verbe·volved, e·volv·ing, e·volves
- a. To develop or achieve gradually: evolve a style of one's own.b. To work (something) out; devise: “the schemes he evolved to line his purse” (S.J. Perelman).
- Biology To develop (a characteristic) by evolutionary processes.
- To give off; emit.
- To undergo gradual change; develop: an amateur acting group that evolved into a theatrical company.
- Biology To arise or transform through evolutionary processes.
Origin of evolveLatin ēvolvere, to unroll : ē-, ex-, ex- + volvere, to roll; see wel-2 in Indo-European roots.
(third-person singular simple present evolves, present participle evolving, simple past and past participle evolved)