- The definition of evolve is to develop gradually or set free.
An example of evolve is bettering your yoga skills by doing more yoga.
- to develop by gradual changes; unfold
- to set free or give off (gas, heat, etc.)
- to produce or change by evolution
Origin: Classical Latin evolvere, to roll out or forth ; from e-, out plush volvere, to roll: see walk
- to develop gradually by a process of growth and change
- ☆ to become disclosed; unfold
- evolvement noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
verb e·volved, e·volv·ing, e·volves verb, transitive
- a. To develop or achieve gradually: evolve a style of one's own.b. To work (something) out; devise: “the schemes he evolved to line his purse” (S.J. Perelman).
- Biology To develop (a characteristic) by evolutionary processes.
- To give off; emit.
- To undergo gradual change; develop: an amateur acting group that evolved into a theatrical company.
- Biology To develop or arise through evolutionary processes.
Origin: Latin ēvolvere, to unroll : ē-, ex-, ex- + volvere, to roll; see wel-2 in Indo-European roots.
- e·volvˈa·ble adjective
- e·volveˈment noun
evolve - Science Definition
- To undergo biological evolution, as in the development of new species or new traits within a species.
- To develop a characteristic through the process of evolution.
- To undergo change and development, as the structures of the universe.
Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.