- The definition of germinate is to start to grow, develop or sprout.
- When a plant first begins to sprout buds, this is an example of a time when it germinates.
- When an idea comes up and then starts to be developed and grow, this is an example of a time when the idea germinates.
A seed begins to germinate.
verbger·mi·nat·ed, ger·mi·nat·ing, ger·mi·nates
- To begin to sprout or grow.
- To come into existence: An idea germinated in his mind.
Origin of germinateLatin germināre, germināt-, to sprout, from germen, germin-, sprout, bud; see gen&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.
germination of a bean seed
(third-person singular simple present germinates, present participle germinating, simple past and past participle germinated)
Latin germinatus, past participle of germinare (“to sprout”).