- The definition of germinate is to start to grow, develop or sprout.
- When a plant first begins to sprout buds, this is an example of a time when it germinates.
- When an idea comes up and then starts to be developed and grow, this is an example of a time when the idea germinates.
A seed begins to germinate.
germinate definition by Webster's New World
germinate definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb ger·mi·nat·ed, ger·mi·nat·ing, ger·mi·nates verb, transitive
- To begin to sprout or grow.
- To come into existence: An idea germinated in his mind.
Origin: Latin germināre, germināt-, to sprout, from germen, germin-, sprout, bud; see genə- in Indo-European roots.
- gerˌmi·naˈtion noun
- gerˈmi·naˌtive adjective
- gerˈmi·naˌtor noun
germination of a bean seed