- of, like, or characteristic of germs or germ cells
- in an embryonic stage; in the first stage of growth or development
Origin of germinalFrench ; from Medieval Latin germinalis ; from Classical Latin germen (gen. germinis): see germ
- Of, relating to, or having the nature of a germ cell.
- Of, relating to, or occurring in the earliest stage of development: was active in the germinal stages of the space program.
Origin of germinalFrench, from Latin germen, germin-, sprout, bud; see gen&schwa;- in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more germinal, superlative most germinal)
- (historical) The seventh month of the French Republican Calendar, from March 20 or 21 to April 20 or 21.