- Enable is defined as to make something possible.
An example of enable is giving someone money to pay for a car.
Financing enables this couple to buy a car.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- to make able; provide with means, opportunity, power, or authority: financial aid enabled Lou to attend college
- to authorize, allow, or permit: legislation enabling free trade, software enabling computer network access
- to make possible or effective; specif., to make possible or support the dysfunctional behavior of (someone), as by denying it exists or compensating for it in some way
- enabler noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
transitive verb en·a·bled, en·a·bling, en·a·bles
- a. To supply with the means, knowledge, or opportunity; make able: a hole in the fence that enabled us to watch; techniques that enable surgeons to open and repair the heart.b. To make feasible or possible: funds that will enable construction of new schools.
- To give legal power, capacity, or sanction to: a law enabling the new federal agency.
- To make operational; activate: enabled the computer's modem; enable a nuclear warhead.
- en·aˈbler noun
enable - Computer Definition
Computer Desktop Encyclopedia
THIS DEFINITION IS FOR PERSONAL USE ONLY
All other reproduction is strictly prohibited without permission from the publisher.
© 1981-2014 The Computer Language Company Inc. All rights reserved.