- The definition of derogatory is making something or someone feel less than they are.
An example of derogatory is a comment that insults someone’s abilities.
- tending to lessen or impair; detracting
- disparaging; belittling
Origin of derogatoryClassical Latin derogatorius: see derogate
- Disparaging; belittling: a derogatory comment.
- Tending to detract or diminish.
(comparative more derogatory, superlative most derogatory)
- (usually with to) Tending to derogate, or lessen in value of someone; expressing derogation; detracting; injurious.
- (law) When referring to a clause in a testament: a sentence of secret character inserted by the testator alone, of which he reserves the knowledge to himself, with a condition that no will he may make thereafter shall be valid, unless this clause is inserted word for word; – a precaution to guard against later wills extorted by violence, or obtained by suggestion.
- A trade-line on a credit report that includes negative credit history.