- The definition of snide is someone or something rude, snobby, mocking, devious or underhanded.
- When you ask a question and someone says "duh, everyone knows that!," this is an example of a snide remark.
- A person who is constantly answering questions with "umm... stupid question," is an example of a person who would be described as snide.
slyly malicious or derisive: a snide remark
Origin of snideorigin, originally , counterfeit, bogus ; from thieves' slang, probably of Dutch dialect, dialectal or German origin, originally ; from base of German schneiden, to cut, with reference to coin clipping and, later, to cutting remarks
- Mocking or derogatory in a malicious or ironic way: snide comments.
- Making or given to making snide remarks: a snide roommate.
Origin of snideOrigin unknown.
(comparative snider, superlative snidest)