- If a state passes a law imposing a tax and the Court rules that they do not have the power to actually collect the tax, this is an example of derogation.
- If you talk down to someone who you believe has less money than you and make him feel worthless, this is an example of derogation.
- a lessening or weakening (of power, authority, position, etc.)
- disparagement; detraction
- a lowering of oneself; loss of rank
Origin of derogationMiddle English derogacioun ; from Old French derogation ; from Classical Latin derogatio: see derogate
From Old French derogacion (French dérogation), from Latin derogatio.
derogation - Legal Definition